Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Time Lost

Yes, there were a lot of things I was planning for today, cleaning the kitchen (the floor is a wee bit sticky and oddly covered with black patches...), sewing buttons on the HBS, preparing for Passover, working on the Purple Pesach Pullover (you have no idea how long it took me to come up with that alliteration), cutting out the skirt to go with the PPP, getting some fresh air and exercise, and so on. What did I actually do:
I read this. I was going to be tricksy and say "it starts out a little unformed and yes, there are some punctuation errors (I am that anal-retentive, and YES! there is a hyphen). Some places I am not sure if Amy meant to use the word that is there and a few places seem to be missing a word or two" .
But! I am torn between putting this in the hands of everyone I know so they can read it and telling them to buy their own damn copy so Amy can quit working for the prickweenies and being worried about cleaning her house and just keep telling us stories! Yes, it did seem a little unformed and unfoscused at the start, but that may have been me. I was going back and forth between the book and Amy's blog and some times I heard her "blog voice" while I was reading her story. It may also be that she intended it that way because as the story grabs you (and woo! does it grab you! In all the right places, deep breath, pardon me) you see that the main character grows with the complexity of the plot. I have read vampire fiction from Bram Stoker to Laurell Hamilton and I liked this one the best. Not many books make me put them down because I have to take a walk and absorb what happens. At least twice, this one did. Aside to Amy : You know how when you read a book, you tend to identify with the main character? I am Grace. The best part about being a vampire cook? No breathing, no onion tears. Just sayin'. Love......

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy Lane said...

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You liked it you liked it you liked it!!!! Thank you thank you thank you--oh, damn--thank you! That was one of the best reviews I've gotten--because you're right, it was a little unfocussed at the beginning, and because you told the truth about that, you told the truth about all the good stuff... (yeah...hyphens...need to take a refesher course in them...) THANK YOU!!!!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Amy Lane said...

And it's funny... (besides the fact that our last two comments on my blog actually CROSSED each other in transit--that was funny too...) many of the flaws in the first book, I understand were mastered in the second. (Not all...my learning curve just ain't that steep:-)

6:05 PM  
Blogger confiance said...

I hate typos in books. In part because I tend to assume that the book is correct and that I need to take a refresher grammar course. Cause really, a published book must be correct with grammar! (Now, if only that were ACTUALLY true...)

And really, the floor will still be there when you finish the book. Cleaning has that nasty tendency to stick around until you do it.

And Yarn Harlotness: I'm visiting OH next weekend, and driving through Pittsburg. As a result, I MIGHT be at both stops, but I think I'll just be at the one on the 31st in OH cause I can only make Pittsburg if I skip class and that's not a great idea.

7:18 PM  
Blogger The Lady in Red said...

The books just keep getting better. And I noticed the lack of focus at the beginning of Vulnerable to, but I attributed it to Cory's inability to see herself for who she was. The story seemed to come together as her awareness grew.
The typos drive me nuts for the first few chapters, but then the story usually takes over and I don't notice them as much. There are fewer of them in Wounded and Bound.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Cindy in (un) Happy Valley said...

Hey Bonnie,

Nice to know you're out there!

And I think we could make a decent showing for Stephanie too! Heck, if she's going to Alaska for petes sake.....

6:08 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Me 2. I'm reading it 2. It's my Work-out Anesthesia. I read it while schusching on the Nordic Track because it makes me totally and completely forget I'm exercising which is JUST ABOUT THE HUGEST COMPLIMENT I CAN THINK OF (ahem, Amy).

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home