Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day

Amy seemed so impressed with my story about how I started knitting (yes, I know it hasn't been on the blog. Later!), I thought I would share the story of how I ended up with The Husband.
First, remember that I had deicded to convert to Reform Judiasm. I had been living in southern California while trying to make it big in theater/acting, please just give me a chance. A bad boyfriend, a nowhere job and way too many auditions where I was told, "You're really good, but you're too ____(fill in the blank, tall, heavy, thin, blond, brunette, female?)" and I decided to go back where I came from. Just after I got back I contacted a Jewish friend and asked for an introduction to the local Rabbi. Before I met with him, I went to see my old friends at the local community theater. Sitting in the audience was The Husband. It was closing night and we all went back to the apartment of one of the actors for a party. Now, remember that it was the late 70s and these were theater people. Much drinking, mild drug use and fun ensued. The Husband and I were the only people in the room who abstained so we wound up talking to each other. The Husband went down to his apartment and made us some hot chocolate and after the party he volunteered to walk me home (small town, very small, you could walk just about anywhere in less than half an hour) as it was three in the morning. I invited him in for some more hot chocolate and we sat in my parent's kitchen and talked for another hour or so. At one point he mentioned, "By the way, I'm Jewish." As though he expected me to throw him out of the house. I did not mention my appointment with the Rabbi, it just seemed too pushy.
During the next week he asked me to dinner and on the walk back home, I asked him what he was thinking about so hard. His answer, "How to word the wedding invitations." That's when I told him I was in the process of converting and he said out meeting was "B'sheert" which means meant to be. It must have been, we've been together for 27 years and counting.
Happy Valentine's Day.

8 Comments:

Blogger confiance said...

Aww, so cute! Now, if only could could convince him that the cookbooks weren't included in the "meant to be" part.

And also, I'm slightly disappointed that you didn't indulge. It was the 70s! Didn't EVERY adult that grew up in the 70s get high?

Of course, I was totally shocked when I discovered that my mother had smoked pot. Parents don't do that, just like they don't have sex. Right?

10:37 AM  
Blogger Amy Lane said...

That's so sweet...your life sounds like a Jane Yolen story...(Do you know Jane Yolen? She wrote a book called Briar Rose, where Sleeping Beauty was a story of a Jewish resistance fighter during the Holocaust--she also wrote a story called Granny Rumple, a re-telling of Rumplestiltzkin...) And I was a kid during the '70s...I may not have gotten high in my parents basement,(ala 'That 70's Show') but I watched my Aunts and Uncle live those scenes in real life...

3:38 PM  
Blogger CygKnit said...

Oh, I loved that story. Thank you.

3:50 PM  
Blogger confiance said...

Ok, that would have had the same effect on me. People suck, persons rock.

(That might not make sense, I'm on cold meds right now. Who needs other drugs?)

10:37 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Proving once and for all that love at first sight is for real. Stories like this give me chills.

Hope your Valentine's Day was romantic, Needle Tart!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

Wow, that's an amazing story. He said that -- "How to word the wedding invitations" -- on your second date? Amazing. Just amazing.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Calamity Jane said...

Ahh that was nice. I thought I ad the quickest proposal - my husband asked me a week after we met but we waited nearly 6 year before tying the knot.

1:52 PM  
Blogger AlisonH said...

Very, very cool.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home