Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Monday, January 01, 2007

Resolute to the Future

But first, the London New Year's Eve went exceptionally well! The kids watched Wallace and Gromit while the adults cooked and at "midnight" we sang (or listened to) "G-d Save the Queen" and while Big Ben was chiming the kids used bubble wrap to make fireworks in the entry hall. Even The Husband said this was a really good idea especially the bubble wrap and the internet BBC.
Here is a picture of the Tea Table: Well, shucky darn! It appears that while loading the pictures earlier, my computer ate them. Trust me, it was a cute tea table complete with lemon curd, strawberry jam, shepherd's pie and kids. Ah well.....moving on....
The Resolutions:
Years ago I read an article in the Reader's Digest about escaping the "Sarcophagus of Self". There were seven daily steps and whenever I feel a little overwhelmed or that I am not living up to my potential I review these steps. For 2007 I am going to work harder on making each step every day. If you want to play along here are the steps:

Every day:
1. Get some physical exercise. I have already started swimming and the days when the pool is closed I try to take a half-hour walk. Any time we move yarn it should count as exercise. I'm also going back to Yoga at least 10 minutes a day.
2. Get some mental exercise. Stitch patterns? Counting stitches? Some days it's a cross word puzzle (love the Sunday New York Times, why, we have some to do from back in August 2001).
3. Do something for someone else. Knitting Socks for Soldiers. Knitting for the Red Scarf Project. Even cooking something someone in the family loves counts in my book.
4. Do something you've been putting off. This could take a while. There are a whole pile of books near my knitting chair. It could take all year to work through the pile. I also owe two wedding quilts and 5 (yeech, 5!) anniversary quilts. The closets all need to be cleaned out, every room in the house can stand a "clean to the walls" cleaning.......yeah, lots on this list.
5. Say a prayer. Some days it's a short as, "Gee, thanks for the great sunset." Some days it's a lot longer. Most days my prayers start with "Thanks".
6. Get a really good laugh. I don't think this was on the original list, but it's a definite plus to the day. Check out Crazy Aunt Purl or Varsity Butt Dent Squad if you need to be lightened.
7. Do something nice for yourself. It's so easy to feel that you don't deserve anything but if you're not nice to you, who will be?

Two extras that I need to add this year:
1B. I must loose 20 pounds. This has become more of a health issue than a looks issue. I can do things for my health that I would never do just for looks.
2B. Give up Solitare completely. I am unable to stop myself after "just one more game". The only way I can get two to four hours back in my day is to go cold turkey. (The Boys check on me every time I sit down at the computer. "Hey Mom, how's Chim-Chim?" Smart alecs!)
Hope your New Year is a good one!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

2B. Give up Solitare completely.

Good luck with that. If you manage it, you should write a "how to book". I know I'd buy a copy. ;)

7:54 PM  
Blogger MLFTC said...

Happy New Year and good luck with the resolutions! I have never tried the "New Year Resolutions" thing but think I will try it this year. Like, you I need to lose weight (but a lot more!) :)

10:18 PM  
Blogger CygKnit said...

Glad you had a Happy New Year!

(not that I think Blogger will post this comment, but had to wish you well :) )

8:35 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Aw shucks!

Happy New Year to you Needle Tart and all the other fruits and jams and Bakewells in your house (a little English tart reference there for you, and no, I don't mean Kate Beckinsale).

11:11 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

Wallace and Gromit is awesome! :-)

lol on your boys checking on you every time you are on the computer.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home