Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Happy New Year

This year we've decided to celebrate New Year's with the English. Midnight in London falls just about 7pm here in PA and we've invited some young friends to come over. For the menu I've chosen to have High Tea (no, it doesn't involve illegal substances, which reminds me of a story....but I digress).
I went shopping! Some of the foodstuffs were already in the pantry but I picked up a few things at the local mega-grocery. We're also having shepherd's pie (not with real shepherd), Welsh rarebit, and trifle. The family we're inviting know none of these things. In fact the wife asked what she could bring and I suggested shortbread and she had no idea how to make it or what it was. Bwa-ha-ha! I've gotten out Wallace and Gromit, Gilbert and Sullivan, and found the BBC on the internet radio. Can't wait! Guess I'd better whip up a tea cozy for the big teapot!





On the knitting front: I've been working away on The Brother's sweater. The yarn is Lion Woolease (I know, but it's machine washable and that counts for a lot!) The pattern is from a 1987 Woman's Day 101 Sweaters. The size is........Large, very large. It's taken 3 weeks to knit just the back. Eventually it will be a cardigan with a shawl collar. Let's hope he gets it before March.




Warning: Cuteness ahead!!
This is New Baby in his Viking Hat! Such a punim! One of the best parts of having a new baby to spoil is making silly hats for him to wear. I have my eye on a special something for his first birthday (I may even design it myself). Yarn is left overs (I think the horns and grey part are Woolease and the brown is Patton's). It was from an on-line pattern and I knit it on size 3 circs.


















Next time the New Year resolutions. I've been looking at several bloggers' and will give you mine by Monday. Have a safe New Year's Eve.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Your New Year's celebration sounds lovely! What a good opportunity to share and educate at one time!

And that sweater pattern? Great choice. It is so difficult to find pre-written man patterns that aren't overwhelmed with cable work. Can't wait to see the finished product!

6:41 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

This is just the best New Year's idea ever, I think. People with little kids should adopt this plan.

The Viking hat is only slightly less precious than New Baby. I love knitting for little ones - cute patterns and quick results.

As for the sweater for your brother, beautiful work!

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home