Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving

It was a rather slow holiday here. Both boys are home, but both are out at work. As school is out for the whole weekend (plus Monday, we are, after all in PA, home of the hunting related school schedule) I have plenty of time to sit in front of the computer/knit.
I have seen this meme on at least two of my regular stops on the blog-line so here goes:

1. Which do you like better: Cooking at your house, or going elsewhere?
Cooking at home. The Baby insists that we have exactly the same meal every year (it's also his birthday dinner, though his birthday is in March)

2. Do you buy a fresh or frozen bird?
Frozen. Mostly because then we can get a kosher bird, not that we keep kosher, but it's been brined which is supposed to make it moister.

3. What kind of stuffing?
None. Here's the back story for Cygknit For years (and years) my (older, much, much older) brother raved about Mom's stuffing. He couldn't get enough. He waited all year for Thanksgiving (which is also sometimes his birthday. See, he's a turkey). One year he did all Mom's food shopping and she put.......... Stove-Top stuffing on the list. He was crushed. I on the other hand never cared that much (or there was never any left by the time the dish came to me. Your choice.) for stuffing. I would rather have my bread with butter. Of course, Mom couldn't bake bread without killing the yeast off, so bread at home was usually Strohman's Sunbeam. Probably why I bake bread today.

4. Sweet potato or pumpkin pie?
Pumpkin with lots and lots and lots of whipped cream, fresh, not the stuff in the can!

5. Do you believe that turkey leftovers are a curse, or the point of the whole thing?
The whole point! During dinner yesterday, I was thinking about (and looking forward to) the sandwiches to come. Must bake bread!!

6. Which side dish would provoke a riot if you left it off the menu?
Mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, rolls, The Boys are picky.

7. Do you save the carcass to make soup or stock?
I always think about it, but we like our soups vegetarian (mostly).

8. What do you wish you had that would make preparing Thanksgiving dinner easier?
A rack for under the turkey. Every year I think of this on Thanksgiving morning and every year I wind up using wadded up foil.

9. Do you get up at the crack of dawn to have dinner ready in the early afternoon, or do you eat at your normal dinner hour?
We eat at the usual time. The Husband needs to keep his intake more or less regular.

10. If you go to somebody else's house, what's your favorite dish to bring?
Either bread or apple pie.

11. What do you wish one of your guests wouldn't bring to your house?
Any pork product or shellfish. Other than that I am glad to see the company.

12. Does your usual mix of guests result in drama, or is it a group you're happy to see?
We don't have guests for Thanksgiving. After the big holidays in Sept/Oct we are happy to be just a little family (that doesn't mean we won't go to someone else's house, so long as The Baby gets his home-made Thanksgiving dinner sometime over the weekend!)

13. What's your absolute favorite thing on the menu?
Turkey, no wait, mashed potatoes, no, wait! Ummmm........ all of it!

14. What are you thankful for this year?
A family that can be together and a house that is still standing (at least so far, Barnes and Noble opened less than 4 miles from the house and The Husband has been visiting.) Also, all the wonderful people in Blog-land!

Happy Shopping Day!!

6 Comments:

Blogger CygKnit said...

I'm sorry...did you say no stuffing?!?

Wow.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I tried the Reynolds baking bag for my turkey this year...it made clean-up a BREEZE! The turkey was moist and just perfect in every way. 'Big Bird' was 21+ lbs and he fit into the bag easily.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Ah, be glad you don't have that roasting rack. They're a pain in the bum to clean.

I'm a stuffing girl too. In fact, that's the whole reason for having a turkey -- so there's someplace to put the stuffing.

Not really. I like turkey. But I looooooooove stuffing.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Amy Lane said...

Lucky Baby:-) But there's a lot to be said about a quiet family dinner.

9:51 PM  
Blogger confiance said...

I'm gonna have to agree on the no-stuffing bit. Can't stand the stuff, myself.

And my family regularly spends Black Friday raking the yard. So, no, december isn't too late to do the yard work.

And I'd save the paper, but my thesis will be English-related and it is for a History class.. The topic won't lend itself well to grad school either, since if I go, it will be for the Holocaust.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

I am SO behind on reading my favorite blogs--but this post makes me yearn for next Thanksgiving. We would up at our best friends' parents' house and had NONE of our traditional Thanksgiving. Sounds like you did, though!

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home