Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Friday, November 10, 2006

The Silence of the Knitter

Once again, I have lost my voice. This makes twice in six weeks! Either the kids are handing me the same virus over and over (I need more hand sanitizer breaks in the day!) or there has to be a better way to get their attention ("Yo! I'm teachin' here!" has it's limits). On the up side, I need to aviod all public places. Not so I won't spread the contagation, but so I won't be tempted to talk and prolong the suffering. The Husband is having trouble carrying the conversational ball. Ha!
Avoiding the public means I can't go to meetings, or religious services (Former music teacher. Do you think I can resist trying to sing the prayers I love the most? How well do you know me?). It also means I get to avoid all those people who think this is funny. You know. The doctor who repeats everything I say with a little dance in the middle (to be fair, he was repeating it into a microphone at a Temple meeting, but still!). All the lovely people who whisper back to me when they can speak in a normal voice! Makes me nuts!
While I am keeping quiet, I sit in the corner of the living room, watch taped shows and knit. The shawl for my friend has been ripped back twice now. I started the knitpicks Candleflame shawl, but it didn't seem wide enough, so I started the Lacy, Leafy, Luxury Shawl from Knitter's 61 (Winter 2000). I had about 6 rows done (292 sts) and I realized that I used the same color stitch markers at each end and had no idea which row I was on. I ripped and used green (for the first row) and a pink marker at the other end. Now I have no excuse for mucking up the pattern.
Tomorrow I will have to take some pictures of the socks for sale and will post some for y'all to ogle.
Silently yours.

6 Comments:

Blogger confiance said...

I was sick twice in four weeks. Maybe there is something in the water?

However, it means more knitting time. And a socially acceptable excuse, at that!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Amy Lane said...

I'm praying for illness. My classes feel so behind and I've had to be absent for so many children's apptments, my usual 'mental health day' feels like an unaffordable luxury. (Of course, if I really was sick, I'd be stuck at home with the kids, trying not to get mad at them for not sleeping when I need to...probably not the best thing to wish for...) Hope you're better soon!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Ooo a music teacher? My favorite kind. I'm a former musician too, though never wanted to be a teacher which seemed the only professional option for a music major, so I switched my studies to (yawn) economics and finance. I hear you on the singing your favorite prayers thing. I may have given up on YaHknoWwHo, but I'll never give up on "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling." It's great shower repertoire.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Amy Lane said...

Hey--this is actually back at you from your comment on my last blog--I once made a designer pattern out of a similar weight lion brand...the results were...depressing...I'm a really big woman and that's a lot of knitting to get something that doesn't meet your expectations...next time, I'm going to spring for the Colinette and enjoy myself...

3:53 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Oh, I do hope you are feeling better soon!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

I think when people whisper you naturally whisper back. You know when i first read that people were whispering back at you when they have a normal voice, at first i thought you were talking about the kids at school, which would be pretty fun if they were doing that.
Get well soon! :-)

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home