Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Friday, September 15, 2006

Things I've been thinking about

Over the last couple of weeks there have been a few things I've thought about putting on the blog, but they don't seem enough for a post. Here they are all together.

1. Yes, I am still knitting. The project I am working on is a gift for one of the readers, so I can't post a full picture but here is a peek:


It is knit from Fortisima Colori Socka Color yarn on size 3 needles. It is a really cool colorway with those red and white stripes and then the blue and white? Utterly neat! Hmmm! Red, white and blue? I guess we know who this is for, don't we? (If you don't,check sometime in late December or early January.)
I am starting on an Adrienne Vittadini tank top. Pictures will follow once I get past the casting on.

2. I like to help people with whatever skills I posess. Locally, however, every time I get involved with "charity" (blech, can't we just call it "helping"?) I'm told at some point that my work just isn't good enough, valuable enough, or just plain enough enough. Last night a problem came up at the local Temple and my solution was roundly turned down. Again. I swear (and please keep me to it) that I will only volunteer for strangers (who turn out to be ever so nice) on the web! I have knit hats for WIC programs, I have signed up for Socks for Soldiers, and today I signed up to knit a square in a feel-loved afghan for a blogger's ill Grandmother. This is a community.

3. The New Season on TV. Every year I sit down with the new program guide and try to reduce my addiction to the tube. Last year I cut (Ha!) my veiwing time to 22 hours a week. This year? Oh, it's all the way down to 23.5 hours a week. Oops! At least I can cut a half hour. " 'Til Death" was bad, really bad. So now I'm down to 23 hours. If one or two of the shows on my list are canceled (and they will be, I like the weird stuff like "Jericho" and "Heros") I will at least keep even. Of course, I didn't count in "Project Runway", "The Sheild", or any of the other cable shows. *Sigh* Just more knitting time, I guess.

4. Just in case I don't get back to y'all before next week, L'shanah Tovah. That's Happy New Year (more or less) in Hebrew. New Year's is next Friday and I am cooking up a storm. We have a student Rabbi this year and there are LOTS of activities to welcome her (No, I'm not volunteering, I just cook for people). We are hosting The Baby's roommate for the holidays (at least for New Year's) and we are the Rabbi's hosts for Yom Kippur weekend. Friends are coming to visit this weekend, so yesterday I sat down with the cookbooks (have you heard? We have over a thousand of them!) and made out some menus. From now until October First I have something to cook every day. And not just dinner. Cookies, cakes, lollipops, bread, booze! Happy, happy!

5 Comments:

Blogger CygKnit said...

Wow, oh wow. You have been so busy, where do I start?

The socks for hubby look fabulous (even better than store bought), the gift knit is so pretty. The heck with the charity people, your online friends adore and appreciate you.

And L'shanah Tovah to you, too :) Have a good time!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

And we are oh so so thankful that you signed up to knit a square for Laurie's grandmother's blanket. I promise that your square(s) will be greatly loved!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

I like the color combinations on the mystery project that you are making. I'm not sure what you are making though, but i'll just have to wait until you post a picture of the finished project. (How about a hint? lol.) At first I thought you were working from two balls of yarn...one for the red and white and another for the blue and white, but then it sounds like that is all the same skein, and isn't that neat how yarn comes out sometimes.

I can't believe that when you volunteer people would complain. There are plenty of online charity's to knit for. I did some hats for the WIC programs that were mentioned on yarn harlot. (She posted two addresses and i received a thank-you from one of them, which was really nice that she took time to send a thank-you).

I watch a lot of tv too. I just like to have it on when i'm knitting or quilting or working on something. I want to see that new show "Heroes"...it looks really interesting.

Happy "L'shanah Tovah." Sounds like that will be a lot of fun.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Amy Lane said...

Wow--you'll be the favorite mom at the Baby's college! (And I don't count my tv viewing hours anymore...I'm just too embarrassed to think of it that way--it's my knitting time and that's all I'll call it!)

3:25 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Ooh, you are very brave to host the rabbi! Sounds to me like you have the cooking experience, though!

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home