Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Monday, July 10, 2006

Thanks!

Yesterday was this guy's birthday:


This is Ed Ames dressed as Mingo from the Daniel Boone TV show (circa 1967). For someone I have never met he has had an amazing impact on my life. I stumbled on the show when I was 12 and was so impressed with this educated, handsome, articulate Cherokee that I started working really hard on my history studies so I could find the truth (I also worked harder on my music lessons, as he is rather famous for his singing). My mother and I spent many afternoons watching the show (in re-runs) and critiquing the clothes, history, and continuity. Mr. Ames speaks 7 languages. When the chance came to learn French in Junior High I worked hard and rose to the highest level and was (in those days) completely fluent, I've also picked up a number of phrases in many tounges, mostly food: ravoli; mit schlag; poulet avec bechemel; and so forth). In college I wanted to study history and become a docent for someplace like Williamsburg, VA. To this end I talked my mother into a visit to Williamsburg and William and Mary College. We couldn't afford for me to go out of state but it was a terrific visit and my family still likes to visit historic villages and recreations. During college I saw Mr. Ames on a talk show and he said he was Jewish. Back to the books. I had been taking a lot of comparative religion courses as I had already decided that I was not a Christian (blame Paul), but wasn't sure what I was. After three years of study I found a resonance with the Reform Movement and converted. Then I met my husband. Not too many years ago my sons gave me this for Chanukkah:


See the resemblence? A flaMingo with two feathers and a whip. Oh yeah, the whip. Mingo was kind of famous for using a bullwhip. One year we went to the local Indian Reservation and lo and behold there was a whip! I spent several weeks allowence on it and went home and learned to crack it on the front sidewalk (we have never had problems with the neighbors). When Mr. Needletart and I were first married, I was in a play (right, plays. That was something else Mr. Ames got me into by example) and needed a long fancy Victorian nightgown. The costumer couldn't find one long enough so I sent one of the stage hands out to send The Husband to fetch mine and he said, "Sure, but where is it?" The message I sent back (remember the stage hand running in between?), "It's under the whip." The Husband said OK and ran off to fetch the required garment. Stage Hand couldn't believe that two such nice people were up to.........la, la, la. Things he didn't want to think about.

In any event, on September 26, 2006 the first two seasons of Daniel Boone come out on DVD. If you want to know why so many little girls in the 60s fell for this guy (although most of them probably outgrew it) take a look. But remember, I saw him first!

(note to Mr. Ames. Have a happy birthday and many, many more. Rest assured I am not a crazed stalker. I don't ever want to meet you and ruin all the illusions I have held. Thanks for being who I believe you to be.)

3 Comments:

Blogger CygKnit said...

What a neat story. I can see why you fell for him so long ago :)

And, very brave (IMHO) to share a bit of your conversion story.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

Interesting. I have never seen Daniel Boone (honestly i am not even sure what the show is about). But it is interseting how a favorite show can affect people.
That's cool you used to be fluent in french. I know a little german...not enough to actually have a conservation though. Learning a foreign lanuguage was not one of my strong points.

You asked me a question on my blog about some tatting shuttles that you had found. I do needle tatting. However, i do want to learn how to tat with a shuttle (it is a matter of finding an intruction booklet with good pictures...that is how i learned to needle tat, i was able to find a book with excellent step-by-step pictures.) So anyways, yes i would love the tatting shuttles, however i do not know how to use them yet.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's wonderful how Mingo's influenced you so much in your life! I especially like the whip and nightgown story :)

There are a lot of other women still crazy about him since the DB days. In fact, there's a Mingo Women blog now.

Please stop by anytime to read what's there, post comments, drool over all the photos, etc :)

http://MingoWomen.com

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home