Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Knowledge is Art

To all who have asked, I am feeling better. Modern medicine is wonderful, and the drugs aren't bad either. Thanks for you positive thoughts.

I have been working on a tallis for our Rabbi. He will be moving to Poland soon to start as the only full-time Reform Rabbi in the whole country. To mark this occasion, I have been working on a tallis (or prayer shawl) with drawings of local places that have meaning for him on one end, and drawings of important places in Poland on the other. Some people who have heard about this think I am an amazingly gifted artist. Not so, I just know the short cuts. Today is sharing time.

Step One: Take pictures of the buildings (or whatever) that you want to render on fabric. This is a lot easier now that we can use digital and the net to seek out images (even though you are going to change it, use copyright free images, your own pictures should be OK).

Step Two: Use a light table (I bought a child's version for fifty cents at a garage sale).

Step Three: Trace the important lines of your pictures.


Step Four: Tape the tracing on the light table.

Step Five: Tape your fabric (be sure to cut it at least one inch bigger than the finished piece needs to be. Trace the design with a permanent pen (I used a Gelly Roll Pen).

Now all you have to do is sew the fabric into a quilt, or tallis, or blouse, or tote bag, or whatever.


Ta Da! I love glittery fabric. Fortunately, the Rabbi is a glittery kind of guy. Now to go work on Elder Son's Pirate Socks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kari said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better.
What a neat idea on the tallis! And this shortcut would be very useful to somebody like me who happens to draw like a kindergardener. :-)

9:24 AM  
Blogger Lene Andersen said...

That's incredibly beautiful. Wow.

(glad you're feeling better)

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home