Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Smells Like Passover!

I know that I promised quilts, but it's nearly Passover and the cooking has begun. Last night "the Baby" came into the house and said, "It smells like Passover!" Now, you must understand, this is the child who lives on bread. Sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. He is 6'1" and only weighs about 165. If he can't eat bread, he'll starve (or so he tells me). To stave off starvation for the Elder child and myself, I have been making Passover granola for the last 20 or so years. This year I decided to try a variation I call American Granola.


I used maple sugar in place of brown sugar and added pecans, walnuts, dried cherries, and dried cranberries. I will test it out on the Elder child Thursday morning. The original recipe came from AvRutick's Passover cookbook. Over the years it has changed out of recognition from the original. Here is the way I make the large (very large) batch.

Tropical Passover Granola

2 pounds farfel

1 pound shredded coconut (I use organic due to allergies)

1/4 pound shelled Brazil nuts

1/2 pound almonds (whole, sliced, whatever you've got)

1/2 pound walnuts

Whirl the nuts in a food processor until medium chopped. Mix nuts with farfel and coconut and toast on sided cookie sheets for 15-20 minutes at 325 degrees. (This much granola takes about 8 cookie sheets. I told you it makes a lot.)

While the above is toasting melt:
3 sticks of butter (3/4 pound)

Then add:
1 1/2 cups brown sugar 1 teaspoon nutmeg

1 1/2 cups honey 2 Tablespoons vanilla

1 1/2 teaspoons salt 2 Tablespoons cinnamon

Heat this mix to a simmer. Pour over the farfel mix and stir well. Toast the coated farfel mix for 15 minutes at 350 degrees or until lightly borwned. (This takes about 9 cookie sheets).

Put the browned mix in a large bowl and add:
2 Mangoes (diced and dried earlier in the week. You can use store bought, but due to allergies I do my own).

1 Papaya (diced and dried ahead of time)

1/4 pound of dried Pineapple cut in small pieces

1/4 pound of dates snipped in small pieces

1/4 pound of raisins

Any other dried fruit you may have around and enjoy.

Allow the granola to cool and store in an airtight container. (I use a 9 (nine!) litre Tupperware container, and it is full!)

Last year we had about three cups of granola left, but after 8 days of two or three bowls a day we were pretty sick of it and out the leftovers went.

Just in case you think I let the Baby starve, he has made plans to eat at his girlfriend's house and the corner pizza place the whole week. Now that he is nominally an adult, it is his decision. In the past I have made him matzoh pizza and home made Passover brownies to tide him over.

May you have a peaceful and joyous holiday, whatever you celebrate.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kari said...

The recipe looks and sounds yummy. However, i'm unlikely to make it as it sounds like a huge recipe (although i suppose i could just cut the recipe in half or something like that.)
What is farfel? Is that granola?

6:49 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hi Bonnie! This is Liz (of the hard-to-get-to blog). I don't know why it said you weren't allowed . . . that's very very odd. Try: http://www.fidoknits.blogspot.com Maybe typing the url into the address line will work. Clicking on my name on Stephanie's comment page worked for me, but then again, my cookies might facilitate things (don't cookies always facilitate things? amazing what you can do with some chocolate chip goodness. But I digress.)

6:21 PM  
Blogger CygKnit said...

I popped over here from your comment on the Yarn Harlog blog--so excited to see a passover recipie on a knit blog! Can't tell you how good it is to get new pesach recipes...

6:36 PM  
Blogger CygKnit said...

Oh, yes! My husband is 32, and still "whines and pules about keeping Pesach in the house" (as you say:)). We're both carb fiends, and anything that is like a mac and chees will quiet the whining a bit.

(Forgive the time it took to reply? I'm a Blogger novice and am still puzzling out comments and such. Is my email available for you?) Thanks! Cynthia

8:54 AM  
Blogger stacey said...

The granola sounds yummy! if you drop me an email staceyrothrock at yahoo dot com I will send you the spiced nuts recipe after I get back from Maryland :o)

3:47 PM  
Blogger confiance said...

Sounds yummy.

I kinda made up the term lifeline, so I don't know what it would be called in the "real world." But I just take a piece of scrap yarn and thread it through my stitches on the needle every pattern repeat. That way, if I have to frog, I can just take out my needle and rip until I run into the scrap yarn and pick up my stitches from there.

Thanks for the comments and compliments. :)

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home