Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

"Puddles"

After almost twenty years, out cat died this morning. For the last three weeks we have been calling him "Puddles". Ususally we screamed his new name right after one of us stepped in the puddle in front of the fridge. This is Puddles in his favorite cold weather position:


He was a good cat (in spite of the puddles). When he joined the house, Elder Son was just learning to walk and he would chase Puddles through the house shouting, "Puppy!", as anything with four legs and a tail was a puppy to him. Several years later, Younger Son joined the household and Puddles adopted him as his kitten. Whenever Younger Son would cry, Puddles would come and find me and howl until I followed him, no matter where I was in the house.

During his middle years he was a great mouser, catching at least 15 mousies before they could nest in the yarn (and one mousie got tossed into Husband's work boots). We played (just put a cat treat at the bottom of a wine bag and laugh for hours, don't forget to drink the wine), tripped over him, threw him in the snow (only when it was piled high enough and only when he was younger), used him as a book rest, and I just can't believe how much I miss him already. For almost 20 years I have complained that I am allergic to him (very true) and that he got more attention that I did (not so true). In truth, Puddles was our middle child and the house seems empty without him.

Good-bye, Puddles, we will miss you.

Love, Mom and Dad

5 Comments:

Blogger confiance said...

I don't even want to think about what state I'll be in when my cat goes- I've had her since 4th grade. She's currently driving my family nuts since I'm not home. Funny, just how attached we get to our pets. And I'll beat up anyone who says cats have no personality. They've clearly never spent more than a few hours around a cat.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. I've got two and I can't imagine the heartache if I lost one, but it must be so sad. I'll be thinking of you.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I found your blog through your comment at Yarn Harlot. I laughed at what your son said so I thought I would see what you were all about. I just read your post and tears are still sliding down my cheeks...don't want to bother to wipe them away. Our first child (Alex P. Kitten...a sweet, tiny brown tabby girl of a cat)died last month just before her 17th birthday. I miss her everyday. Anyway, thanks for the beautiful post. It made me think of all the wonderful memories I have of her...all the silly things a cat will do and the even sillier things we humans do for/to/with them. I am at: http://moreyarnforme.blogspot.com

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to hear about your cat. It is easy to get really attached to a pet...they are just always there, ready to help...constant companion. Also the unconditional love..not judging you either... We have a dachshund who is around 12 years old and she is limping more and is white in the face...our whole family is very attached to her.

3:04 PM  
Blogger CygKnit said...

What a beautiful tribute . Last week, after I got your email, I was at a friend's house and we were chatting and drinking wine. One brought up the subject of blogs and relationships, and I told your story. When I was done, there was not a dry eye. Know that "puddles'" legacy lives on far and wide (or at least, in CT, too).
{{{hugs}}}
Cynthia

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home