Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Monday, May 08, 2006

Random Monday

I have seen a lot of random days in Blogland so here is a Random Monday.

Baking:

I have been trying to catch up on the baking (with two large, not-quite-teenagers in the house this is harder than you might think). Yesterday was Elder Son's birthday and he wanted a Boston Cream Pie, but that was gone by this morning so I baked some Chocolate Chip cookies (recipe on the back of the bag) for The Baby to have something special for a snack during his AP test tomorrow. Then I made some Snickerdoodles (from the Fanny Farmer Baking Book) because....well....I wanted them. I had some bad bread (it didn't raise properly) in the freezer and I finally got around to making a bread pudding (from Moosewood Desserts). Russian Apple Bread Pudding. Mmmmmmm!

As you can see it didn't even last long enough to get a picture of the whole thing. Even The Husband liked it enough to suggest that the next time I make it I use no sugar (rather than the quarter cup in it) and some sort of sugar-free fruit stuff on the top. The Husband has to avoid sugar and rarely eats the dessert goodies from our kitchen. That he would like this recipe again (even with the changes) means it's a real keeper.

Knitting:

I have been knitting on a pair of booties for New Baby.
These are the Lace and Diamond booties from Zoe Mellor's "50 Baby Booties".
Yarn is Knitpicks Shine

Reading:
I have been reading the Aunt Dimity series of mysteries. You must read these! At first I just enjoyed the stories and wished I could be a lucky as Laurie (the main character). The more I read them, though, the more I feel that we should all be so lucky as to have an Aunt Dimity.

Thoughts:

Next time I make the bread pudding, I will add a little almond flavoring and less sugar.
Next time I make these booties I will use double pointed needles when I pick up the stitches around the foot (maybe work in the round) and use Kitchner stitch to sew up the sole of the bootie.
Why can't I be Aunt Dimity? (Besides the fact that she was rich and lived in England and had no children or husband). She's a wonderful, loving, caring, and thoughtful person. The main character in her books is slowly learning to care about her community. Maybe if each of us just tries to see that a** in the loud car as a person, we can have a ripple effect. What do ya think? Hmmm?

Love your family (even if it's the family you choose, rather than the family you inherited), find your bliss, keep knitting.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kari said...

The Russian Apple Bread pudding looks very good. I've never made bread pudding before. And it must have been very good if your husband said he wanted it again when he normally doesn't eat stuff like that.
Cute pair of baby booties.
And I have never heard of the Aunt Dimity series and am not sure what those are about. Is that the title of the book, Aunt Dimity, or who would the author be so I could find out more about the series.

11:13 AM  
Blogger CygKnit said...

I adore the booties! They are so sweet that I would be afraid to use them (if I were so lucky as to need them). But oh, they look like such heirlooms!

(BTW, I hope to have some time to really email you soon)

7:25 PM  
Blogger Dagny said...

That Russian Apple Bread Pudding looks amazing. I will have to look for the recipe. Moosewood, huh?

And cute little booties.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

Mmmm....that bread pudding looks awesome! (yet another recipe I now want...)

I've heard of the Aunt Dimity series, but didn't want to start reading them in the middle of the series. I haven't found the first one yet either.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home