Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Baby's Quilt

OK, so I haven't finished piecing the top of The Baby's college quilt, but here it is so far:


I was about to add the outer sashing when I realized that I had commited "Bad Math"! I thought 8 rows of geese would be wide enough. However, when I measured the "finished" middle it was only 65" wide (and 92" long. What can I say, he's a tall Baby) somehow that seemed a little out of balance, so yesterday I took a trip to JoAnn Fabrics and bought 12 more fat quarters of fabric (because, ya know, I didn't have enough) and added on an extra row. Now the balance is better, but the quilt still doesn't have outer borders. That's for today (in the air-conditioned sewing room!)

Every once in a while The Husband opens the checkbook and goes a little berserk. This week he decided that we need a new car. As I am the middle-sized one in the family, I get to decide if a vehicle is large enough for all of us. Elder Child is 6'5", The Baby is 6'1" and The Husband is 5'8". Guess where the boys got their height genes? Any who, this is Lauren Bacar:

Love that 1940s styling with the 2002 gadgets. I picked up The Baby and his Girlfriend before he knew we had a new car and when I told them the car's name, both said they had no idea who Lauren Bacall is. *sigh* I really hope The Baby was just trying to make the Girlfriend feel better. We did (and sometimes still do) force him to watch black and white classic movies, but some things stick better than others.

Ha! These are the socks I knit for Elder Child that Blogger wouldn't let me load last week. They are knit from Lang brand Jawoll. The pattern came from HelloYarns with a few changes. I knit my standard socks but tried intarsia in the round. It can be done, but I wouldn't want to make fair isle socks!

Update: Blogger had some issues with pictures this morning so I went to the sewing room and completed the quilt. The (270) patches in this quilt are from fabric I have used for The Baby's clothes and toys over his whole life. There is a patch from the jacket he wore at his naming ceremony, some with Pinky and The Brain on it, and patches from the different quilts I have made for him. Also some picture prints that are special to him.

4 Comments:

Blogger KatyaR said...

Oh, your quilt is so pretty--that's one of my favorite patterns. I love quilts with lots of different fabrics, scrappy ones are my favorite.

I want a new sewing machine, and then I'd probably want to start quilting again--yikes! Like I don't have enough hobbies.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

I love the quilt! A while ago I had bought some 5" cut square fabric at a gargage sale and i was eventually going to make a simple tie-quilt with it and just sew squares together. But if I cut the squrares in half and did a design similar to what you did...that might turn out cool.

Also love the socks and the new car. And I don't know who Lauren Bacall is! I have watched some black and white shows but not a whole lot (Twilight Zone, I Love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes).

5:48 PM  
Blogger CygKnit said...

That is a mind-blowingly beautiful quilt. And so full of love.

Love your new baby Lauren Bacar [giggle]. I'm glad I know who she is!

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonnie, your quilt looks great. I love that design and the colors look bright and cheery. Thank you for telling me about it. I like reading your blogs.

My husband bought me the autobiography of Lauren Bacall last month at a neighbor's yard sale. And I am reading it now. She and Bogey made such a pair. Their old movies bring back romance.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home