Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Friday, February 16, 2007

Random Friday

Yes, Valentine's Day was very nice. I got flowers, chocolate, and ruby earrings. The Husband got a new pair of red socks and I cooked dinner for him (I made the Vegetarian Times Valentine's Dinner and it was very nice. Low sugar for The Husband and high taste for us both).


Pretend there is a picture of a dining table here with a dozen roses,
red soup in white bowls with a sour cream
heart in the middle of the soup and lots of medicine bottles.*

You can see by the table setting that we have been together for many years. Nice flowers, food we both enjoy (this is a roasted pepper soup, YUM!), and lots of medicine to keep us going.

THE STORY OF HOW I STARTED KNITTING
This is my mother's family.


The picture was taken in about 1918 and the little one in the front is my mother. As you can see she had lots of sisters. When I was about 4 years old, I was just sitting around, looking out of the window and one of my aunts said, "You need something to do." and she got an empty thread spool (they were made of wood in those days) and she made an idiot cord machine (put 4 nails in the top and the cord comes out the bottom). Then she taught me to knit four stitches at a time around and around and around. Once I had conquored that the Aunts passed me around and each one taught me her special needleart: drawn thread work, needlepoint, crewl work (Yecchhh!), knitting, dress making and so forth. By the time I got to college I knew everything but spinning and weaving (though I could weave on one of those weave-it looms and I have the afghan to prove it!). Why I didn't major in textile arts G-d only knows, but I did wind up working in the costume shop.

KNITTING IN PROGRESS
We have had a slew of days off due to the weather
Pretend there is a picture of my yard with 14 inches of snow.*
and what do we do with extra time? Yes, we knit! I finished The Husband's socks, ripped out the different color of the HBS (you knew I would, didn't you?), started a scarf with Violet's Yarn,

Pretend there is a picture of a lacy scarf here. * (sigh)

and swatched for one of the sweaters in Interweave Knits Spring 2007. Speaking of which, what drug do you think the people over at Interweave are using? First of all, I agree with just about everyone who has reviewed the new issue. The present lay-out of photos makes the whole magazine look like an ad, and the sweaters/projects? The Eyelet Rib Bandeau made the model look chunky and The Husband would never accept the Tea Rose Halter Top as public apparal. And you know, when I'm feeling a little spicy I just love to throw on a knitted apron and wander the streets. Seriously, folks at Interweave, get a grip and give us interesting challenges that we will actually wear. If you want to be hip and trendy put it in your hip and trendy Mag.

Guess that does it for now, I have to go get ready for services, I am in charge of the tea after and need to pack up the goodies. What goodies, you ask? Challah , chocolate covered cherry cookies , (the recipe came from one of these mysteries, but I don't remember which, read them all) heart sugar cookies with Chambord frosting, and green grapes. Drop by if you're in the area.
*Blogger is being difficult, as usual, and most of the pictures won't load. Arggghhh!! B also gave me a warning that the next time I may have to sign up for New Blunder (oops! I mean New Blogger. Sure I do.) so if you don't hear from me, I am lost in the blogosphere without tech support (at least until Elder Son gets home.........)

9 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Thanks for the info! I'm amazed at how many people learned to knit from their families, and it's so nice to think of such a continuing tradition.

Good luck with Blogger.

4:16 PM  
Blogger CygKnit said...

I very much enjoyed the story of your needlework beginnings. The photo with it took me away to another time :)

5:57 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

What a glorious picture. I love it, and I love the story, too.

(I had a previous comment, similar to this, but blogger won't let me sign in. !@#$$%%)

7:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a cool way to be introduced to so many wonderful arts. My mom knitted (she has had lots of hand problems) and is currently trying to take it up again. Two weeks ago before a road trip to Philly she asks me, "Do you have some yarn and needles I can use to try making a scarf?" I almost fell on the floor laughing. Anyway, my mom and I have one of thoses relationships where either one of us trying to teach the other anything is NOT going to happen...ever. Out of the blue 2 years ago I decided to teach myself how to knit. Don't know why. Just wish I had learned 20 or 30 years earlier. I was on bed rest for the last 3 1/2 months of my last pregnancy...what I could have knitted in that time alone!!!

To answer your Harlot question, It takes me about 4 hours to get to Pittsburgh and probably about the same to get to NY. I was all set to tell the Hubby and kids that I was going to take a road trip to NY until I realized that her appearance there is the day before Jake's 3rd birthday. I thought about Pittsburgh but am not sure I really want to drive that far and either have to pay for a hotel room to stay over (her appearance is in the evening I think) or drive back that late at night...I am hoping she will add a date somewhere else in PA. I am going to ask my local B&N if they would be interested...they have the room. Perhaps the one little yarn shop in Harrisburg would be willing to co-sponsor. I wonder if AC Moore or Michael's ever sponsors these kinds of things?

6:54 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

That is so neat that your aunts passed you around and taught you different things.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Amy Lane said...

Yup...it's still fairy tale stuff to me! I love it...I swear I'll write you a fairy tale when I need a break from my current project. I totally admire your cooking skills... it sounds like a lovley Valentines evening...and the many WIP's are wonderful. I just know they are--I don't need no stinkin' pictures. (@#$%$ing blogger...we hates it...)

7:54 PM  
Blogger confiance said...

Is it wrong that I'm most interested in the green grapes part of the goodies list? No? Good.

My mom taught me crochet when I was little, but I don't really like it now. I taught myself to knit via books and videos online. I taught myself cross-stitch by reading the directions included in kits. I wish my family had taught me, but my mom and sister can't knit. I know, I know. Supposed to be easy, right? But that's not the case. Mentally, they just don't. get. it.

Re: Yarn Harlot. I've been debating the whole idea. I REALLY wanna go. And I'm done class at 11am on Fridays. But then I'd have to pay for a room or attempt to re-connect with friends at Pitt to crash in their room. (And explaining WHY I'm there? That'll be funny.) Right now, I'm waiting to see what the 31st is going to offer and if I can drive to/from that day.

Now, the only question becomes: Who has to drive while the other one knits?

9:07 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Whenever I stop by for a Tart read, I wind up slobbering all over my keyboard. Red pepper soup? Chocolate covered cherry cookies???

I need a snack.

P.S. I adore your unloaded by Blogger photographs. As for the one that did load -- Wow! What a hair bow! Why did that go out of fashion? I'd love to park one of those atop the Jujube. That photo reminds me of a series of books I adored to read as a child: The All-of-a-Kind Family about 5 little girls growing up around the time of your Aunts

8:16 AM  
Blogger Amy Lane said...

Actually, I think I'm going to use this for a segment of the book on working on now...

I'll send it to you when I'm done...

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home