Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Friday, June 27, 2008

Update

Wow! How did it get to be the end of June so fast? It seems like we just got out of school. Oh. Wait. We had so many snow days (not to mention the metal dectector days) that school wasn't out until June 13. Then a trip to visit The Brother, Youngest Niece and family, then a trip to the south with The Husband. Sheesh, catching up.
Here is the Peacock shawl.
Pattern: Osrtich plumes. The pattern is in the Knitters' Shawls and Scarves

Yarn: Knitpicks Shimmer in Turquoise Splendor

Needles: Options Wooden Size 5

Size: 24" by 85"

Notes: This was a lot of fun to knit. It looks really lacy but is a variation of the Feather and Fan stich, meaning there was really only patterning on every fourth row. Fairly mindless knitting as long as you check your stitch count after the pattern row. The yarn blocked out beautifully and is nice and warm for as lacy as it came out.
The roses are in my front and side yards. They must be some sort of antique rose because they smell delicious even from the kitchen.


Speaking of the kitchen, it's been a while since I added a recipe. This is one I worked out when I had some left over bread. It was really nice artisan french bread. After two days it had turned to styrofoam. I hated to throw it away and thought I would try bread pudding with it. I cut up the bread (well, it sort of shattered when I cut slices) into half inch or so pieces. Then I sprayed a caserole pan and added the bread. I mixed 4 eggs with 2 cups of skim milk and 2 cups of cream (that's what I had in the fridge that was about to out date), 1/3 cup sugar, about a half teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg (if you don't think there's a difference, smell the bottled stuff and then the freshly grated, go ahead, I'll wait.........see.) and 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Pour that over the bread, cover the pan with saran wrap (or the glass lid that came with the casserole) and refrigerate over night. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and bake for about an hour, or until a knife inserted in th middle comes out more or less clean. Elder Son really liked this. Especially when I said it was good for breakfast. After all it has a lot less sugar than he usualy gets from Froot Loopys.

This is a package I got from Knitpicks with a birthday gift certificate from my Out West Friend. (My birthday was in March, but I spent a loooong time choosing the yarns I wanted). As I was taking the picture of the sealed box, The Husband was eating his lunch and squinted at me, then shook his head. Later I was reading Franklin's blog (May I call you Franklin? Thanks, I feel as though we are friends.) and Franklin had a picture of some yarn he had just received in the mail. Said The Husband, "Do you all do this? I wondered why you were taking a picture of yarn, but mine is not to reason why...."
You think he'd have figured it out by now. We are all nuts, in the nicest way possible of course.


This is the yarn and just at the bottom of the picture you can see a corner of one of the books. I got: Desiging your own Aran Sweater, Knitted Critters for Kids, and Nicky Epstein's Scarf book. Now I need more yarn.


In this haul I got some sock yarn, including some for summer socks, enough lace weight for two more shawls (one for YSS, Happy Birthday sweetie!) and the Autumn lace sampler just to play around with.

I thought I might try to get a head start on the Winter knitting and work on the things that will have to be mailed. This is for Great-Niece. I bought The Paper Bag Princess and this will be one of those cone shaped hats worn in the middle ages. I have a wonderful piece of sparkly pink veiling for the very top. I think this is the first thing I have knit that is supposed to be felted. Wish me luck.

The knitting to the right is a ribbon vest from Sally Melville's The Knit Stitch. It is some Lion brand ribbon I found at the local dollar store. Whee! Name brands for cheap cost. Of course, I figured out that I would need 8 balls of yarn, so I bought 9 and half way up this side I had used 4. Which meant that I would only have one ball of ribbon left for the shoulders, front and back. Luckily while I was visiting Youngest Niece, she wanted to learn to knit and was willing to go on a yarn crawl. We found remaindered ribbon at a local craft store. It was the same dye way, but not the same lot. I figured that it would be close enough for a $13 vest.
Whew! Now we are mostly caught up. Do you think I could keep a resolution to post every Friday during the summer? We'll see.....

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger ReesieAnn said...

I was beginning to wonder about you!!! Your shall was beautiful and really looked nice up against your antique roses :). Loved the picture of the Knit Picks box - I got my very first one today and do you think I could have waited two seconds to grab my camera and take a picture of it before I went ripping into it??? NOOO!!!! It doesn't look like we got any of the same exact yarn but I got some sock yarn too. I can't wait to make my first one! Check my blog later this weekend... I'm going to have updates :). Oh, by the way... did you see that I changed the name of it? It's now www ReesieAnnPA dot blogspot dot com - thats my new online identity. Toodles! YN

4:20 PM  
Blogger Amy Lane said...

Oh darlin'--you're SOOOOOO busy! The shawl is gorgeous, and I should show your post to Mate. He thinks we're all out of our flipping minds!!!

I miss you when you don't post--it's always good to hear from you! I'll keep that bread-pudding thing in mind. It looks like a good idea!

(password? kmomn)

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home