Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Monday, June 25, 2007

Driving Miss Needletart

The Baby is getting ready for his driving test and has therefore been doing all the driving on our errands. Yesterday he drove for an hour on our three-hour car ride to pick up his girlfriend. I did not knit. I was too busy holding us in our lane with pure will power. Not that I yelled, "Look out for that tree!! You're going too slow in highway traffic! Pick a LANE!!!" N0, no The Baby is really quite competent, I'm just a nervous mother (says The Husband, "Funny, you don't look nervous." Besides once he gets a driver's license I may no longer have a car).
Today he and his girlfriend went to the mall (neither has a license). He drove over, I drove home to do laundry. Then he called and I drove back. While I was waiting, I worked on the Red Hat socks. When he started the car, I saw no reason to put my knitting away.
Tomorrow I will go back to holding the car in our lane with will power. He was fine, I was a nervous wreck. We were just too close to the cars on my side.
PS. Don't forget the contest. Where is the weirdest place you have knit?

6 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I hope you have an Oh Jesus handle above the passenger seat. They come in handy with learner or European drivers in control of the vehicle you're riding in.

Also, you should know this because it might be relevant. When my sis and I were learning to drive we played How-Close-Can-We-Get-To-The-Guardrail on a particularly wild curve near our house just so we could see our mother lean away from the site of potential impact. hee hee

1:02 PM  
Blogger NeedleTart said...

I think we call it a "Sh'ma" handle, and yes there is one. (the Sh'ma is the prayer Jews are supposed to say just before they die, ideally *as* they take their last breath).

2:02 PM  
Blogger Amy Lane said...

That 'oh Jesus' or 'Sh'ma' thing is precious...

You're not making me any more excited about my oldest son--he's dead set on getting his license at 16...dad and I don't think so.

2:33 PM  
Blogger NeedleTart said...

The Baby is 19 and Elder Son was 21 when he got his. I was 22 and The Husband was 30. We're a bunch of late bloomers.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, let's see...I used to be a bathroom reader but am now a bathroom knitter. I started off just knitting at traffic lights but now, once I get the knitting out I keep knitting while I drive (it's just a simple little sock). I have knit at work (a large food distribution warehouse) while walking on the dock. Imagine my surprise to tug on my yarn only to discover that it had fallen out of my jacket pocket 5 dock doors earlier and had rolled around a few skids of product...thankfully, the guys loading the trucks were at lunch or I never would have heard the end of it...they tease me enough about always having my knitting with me. I was pulled over for speeding on my way to work one night and had to pull half of the crap out of the giant tote bag that doubles as a sort of knitting bag and purse to get my license out. While I was waiting for the trooper to run my license and decide if he was going to write a ticket or not I looked over at the mess in the passenger seat, saw my knitting and thought, "What the heck, if I'm going to get a ticket AND be late for work, I might as well get some knitting time out of it". The trooper didn't even blink when he came back to my car. (Also let me off with a warning. Pretty amazing when his first two sentences were: 1. Do you know how fast you were going? and 2. We (there were two police cars) had to do 90 to catch up to you!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Amy Lane said...

Hey--I put your log on the website update--thought you'd want to know!

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home