Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Saturday, February 14, 2009

What a Ride!

On Wednesday I was having a little trouble breathing. The kids were very sweet (a couple of girls followed me all morning saying, "You're not going to die, are you Mrs. Gordon?") and we were muddling through when we had to go outside for recess. It might have been fine, but one of the other subs was the only person with a key to the back door. Naturally she headed for the side door leaving the rest of us out back. As I was the closest, I yelled to her. The lungs, they closed. I hoped I could get the kids settled at lunch and sit down for a few minutes, then everything would be fine. I headed down the hall with my buddy Sue when she turned to me and said, "You don't look good." The wheezing really took hold and I grabbed the wall for support. Sue took charge and sent for the nurse. The nurse sent for the ambulance (school policy, or so she said), and the ambulance took me to the hospital next door. One breathing treatment and a dose of cortisone and all is OK. Not great, but the air is coming in and the wheeze on the way out isn't as bad.
The best part of the story (aside from the "I lived" part) is how sweet all the people at school were. The kids didn't make my day hard, even the worst behaved was good for me. The nurse took great care of me. The teachers made sure I got where I needed to be. The secretary went to the hospital with me until The Husband could get there. Then again, one of the administrators was only worried about where the ambulance should park so the school day wouldn't be disrupted and which staircase the students should use. And there is the reason I'm a sub. The less I have to do with administrators the happier we all are. Right?
Next post I have some pictures of the knitting I've been doing while on rest leave.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Whoa. Scary. I'm also glad you lived. And that the kids were good. And everyone else was nice.

Administrators, oh, they're like military officers. They have to agree to a lobotmy to get the job. Don't be angry. Feel sorry for them.

Idiots.

Anyway, glad you're all right and hope you continue to feel better. Soon.

6:58 AM  
Blogger SunshineDreams said...

OMGoodness, I am so glad you are all right!

Please continue to rest and rest and get better.

Don't make us worry about you again, ok?

5:34 PM  
Blogger Amy Lane said...

OMGoodness--I truly am so glad you're all right! Good for the teachers and the school nurse getting you to the hospital and everything--but seriously! And even the nicest person loses a serious chunk of their soul as an administrator.... you have to sign it away with the payment contract.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home