Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Monday, September 17, 2007

All the News That Fits

Sorry to have been gone so long. It's the High Holiday season and that means cooking. And cooking. And Cooking!! The last two Sundays I went to a friend's house to work on cookies for the Break the Fast dinner (right after 26 hours of fasting on Yom Kippur). Last Sunday, we baked for more than five hours. At the end we were so giddy, I threw a pan of prepared cookie dough at her (I swear, it was an accident) and she laughed so hard she had to leave the room. Yesterday we baked for four hours and filled her freezer. During this week, I am a second grade teacher who comes home at night and bakes another batch or two of cookies. On Friday, I will be baking challah. Lots of challah. Thank goodness Sandra (the cookie wearing friend above) talked my out of baking challah napkin rings for the tables. I will only have to bake 14 loaves.

I am going to Rhinebeck. I was kind of looking forward to taking a trip with The Husband but he has been offered an extension on his contract and will be staying in the South for an extra month. Yay! for the exchequer. Boo! for the lonely wife. Anyhow, I've got my room reserved and have already made plans to stop and visit The Brother and his family on the way. See you there (if I don't get lost.......)

On the knitting front" The Husband made another order to Daedelus and found this knitting book:
The book is Perfectly Brilliant Knits and are they ever! There is a pattern for a sweater with knitted in DNA strands. COOL! The sizing is even realistic with most sweaters running up to an extra large. The blue sweater is a shell pattern with a cardigan that sort of matches (without being all matchy matchy if you're careful about your yarns). It's knit from Knitpicks Shine, a cotton yarn. Speaking of Knitpicks....Have you seen the beautiful new wooden needles for the Options set? We wants it!! (sorry about that, I read the Harlot just before I posted and the note kind of got to me).


On the sock needles, I'm still working on the socotta yarn. Did I ever get that picture on? If not, here they are at the beginning:


I am actually on the foot by now, I just haven't got any pictures. The second graders I have this week are really impressed that anyone could make socks! Gotta get to the kitchen and make something for dinner and about 3 million more cookies. Don't worry if I don't post soon, I'm just buried in dough (the cookie kind, darn it!)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Yesssssss. We wants it too, that Harmony options set from Knitpicks. If it had come in the same sort of snazzy zipped case the metal set comes in, it would probably already be UPSing its way into the Coach's hands.

I've a hankering (knitting pun there for you) to try magic loop socks. Got that bee up my bonnet whilst in Wisconsin visiting my mama and a lovely little yarn shop called Gold'n Fleece in St. Germain. The perennial garden out front is bigger than the shop and makes the shop's porch probably the prettiest place on earth to sit and knit. They need pictures on their web site. :(

12:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the socks! I got your package last week. My humble appologies for not letting you know it arrived safe and sound and is wonderful and adored right away. I have not managed to blog or even take pictures lately. My goal any given day lately is just to get some sleep and maybe see the family for a few minutes... Work has been so busy but it's the only time my brain is completely awake. I am also going to Rhinebeck but still need to book a room...where are you staying? Would you like to ride along instead of drive yourself? I can't seem to convince my hubby that he and the kids would have a good time. Let me know... Thank you again for the sock yarn and all the other goodies...I will be takeing pic and blogging soon..Shalome

8:21 AM  
Blogger Amy Lane said...

The socks are brilliant! (You've got your mojo back--yippee!!!) Well, if you can't bake a boatload of cookies without throwing some at a friend, I just don't see the whole point!!! (Sorry about the lost voice...I thought mine was going this year, but it only got low and sexy... lucky me--the teenagers didn't notice!!!!) And huzzah for Rhinebeck! All lonely wives should go... (poor husband...I'm betting he's missing you...)

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home