Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Thanksgiving Through the Centuries

Sorry there are no pictures to post for this, you will just have to accept the words. We went to YSS's house for the holiday and we were truly traveling through the centuries.
1600s - The boys sat on a bench from about 1640 for Thanksgiving dinner. We had the traditional 20th century meal with lots and lots of mashed potatoes for YS. He even got to bring home some of the leftovers.
1700s - YSS's family lives in a log cabin from around 1740. It has been enlarged and modernized through the years, but her father restores antique buildings and when he doesn't have any other work, he tears out the "improvements" and puts things back the way they were (well, more or less. He can use old methods, but some supplies, like really old trees that make wide boards, are hard to come by). There is a nice modern bathroom, but he says there's an outhouse if we want to use it. Ha.
1800s - The Husband and I slept in a bed from 1820. Imagine my surprise when I noticed the rope "springs". The Husband found it very comfortable as he likes a firm (very firm) bed. It was a bit challenging for me, because beds in those days were only five and a half to six feet long. As we've heard before, I am six feet tall. I woke up a few times with my feet through the spindles at the foot of the bed.
1900s - Traditional meal from the last century. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, sweet potatoes, the traditional green bean casserole. We would have had pumpkin or apple pie but we were all too full.
2000s - After dinner YSS's sister got out her laptop (with DSL connection) and made a plan for black Friday shopping.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy Lane said...

THAT is SO cool! (Have you seen Julia and Juliet yet? Julia Child was well over six-feet tall--apparently, France has the same philosophy in beds that America did in the 1800ds... the results were very cute--and very uncomfortable!) Seriously-- the entire cabin/experience sounds really fun! (Ah, the secret history glutton in the literature lover... gotta feed him sometimes!)

5:56 AM  
Blogger SunshineDreams said...

Catching up on my blog reading whilst home with strange tummy bug. Love the description of your Thanksgiving through the centuries! How lovely!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Hats. With Ears said...

this sounds like a very pleasant experience! I love the idea of it!

(I'm 5'3" - I've never had a problem with beds. I envy your ability to get things down from high up shelves though)

And not to be pesty, but I hope everything is okay. I've read through all of your archives and there aren't very many times when it's been this long since you've posted.

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home