Needle Tart

If I'm not knitting or sewing something, I must be cooking something!

Monday, June 01, 2009

Aunt Barney Rides Again

As you may remember, I was headed East to take a knitting class with Youngest Niece. Her Little Guy was all excited to see me, as you can see. He's three and is still working on pronunciation. Therefore, Aunt Barney. Thank G-d I didn't wear purple (and I hate that song).
The whole reason for the trip was to take a knitting class (or three) from Annie Modisett. Now, I have been knitting since I was four. That's more that 50 years. I learned a few new tricks. Whee.
Wednesday night we knit with wire. Not something I will do a lot of, but we all learned that some 26 gauge wire is thicker than others. Naturally, I had chosen a thicker one. YN chose a thinner one and her sample was gorgeous. Annie gave each of us a spool of the kind of wire she uses and I will definitely be trying again with that one.
Thursday morning we learned a new/old way to knit. It is the way I used to knit until Aunt Grace told me I was doing it wrong. Yes, it makes a beautiful stitch. Yes, it's familiar to me. No, I won't be using that method. Julie asked some of her readers to knit an afghan square for a good cause and I tried the new/old way. It took twice as long and my hands really hurt from tightening up my knit stitches. The pattern is from Barbara Walker's Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns. I've always wanted to knit this castle and now I had a reason.
Thursday afternoon we tried out some new decorative details. The i-cord bobble was worth the cost of all the classes. Wow, what a great way to bobble. Makes me almost not hate them. We also learned to make dreads, horizontal i-cord and some spiffy bind offs.

Before I left home I finished the Kai Mei socks from Cookie A's new book. They were really fun to knit. YN says she might not knit them because the lacy part won't show in your shoes. I don't care I just wanted to try them.
Friday, before I headed home we went to a yarn shop in Nazareth PA. I bought some yarn spun and dyed in Pa and some yarn with possum spun along with the wool. Lime and Violet were talking about it and I just had to have it. Now, if I knit a scarf from it will I have to play dead when someone scares me?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy Lane said...

Go Aunt Barney! (I've got a friend named Barbara who was 'Bob' to my oldest for a very long time!) The 'Square for a good cause' is gorgeous! Mine was dumb--plain old four corner increase, but I wanted it done by the appropriate time. (It was also in this lovely, floaty angora yarn, just for kicks...) But a knitting class from Annie Modesitt? HOW COOL IS THAT! I'm so very glad you had that much fun!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Aunt Barney... so cute. Heehee.

Classes from Annie Modesitt, lace castles, knit wire... how very creative you are!

Looking forward to the square.

Spam word is "bitione" which would be your niece's son. ;)

6:49 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

hi! I have knit that square at least twice - the first time was as the center for a baby afghan. That baby graduated from Harvard last year! The second time was for an art exhibit - I never did get it framed up in time. I often think of using that square for the "for a good cause" sort of thing, but usually it is too large.

The classes sound great. I have been knitting for a long time also, but I have not yet had a chance to take a class. It is an experience I look forward to.

Watch your mail...

3:46 AM  
Blogger SunshineDreams said...

You've been busy, Aunt Barney! The classes sounded interesting, and I love that castle panel as well. I keep envisioning making a medieval-themed blanket centered around it, with cabled trees and such. Someday...

I just got Cookie a's book myself. People were saying they were finding many errors. Have you heard anything about that? I love her designs so will keep my eye out for the errata if that is the case.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Susan said...

Hi Bonnie. Susan from Oz here (the other sockless Roulette socker). Any word on your sock partner as yet? If not, join the club! If you haven't, let me know if you'd like to do a swap between just you and I so we at least get to receive something from overseas in the mail! (Which is nice and just a leetle bit exciting) Cut our losses and march onwards so to speak. Just a thought.

7:27 AM  
Blogger tinyshinythings said...

Hi, I'm consering one of Annie's classes. Like you, I've been knitting since I was knee high. Would you say it is worth it? I'm going to Di Gilpin's in St Andrews...maybe. I'd love if you would email me your thought. Sally
tinyshinythings@gmail.com

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home